Search This Blog

Saturday, August 28, 2010

Answers Through A Dream

Sleep isn't what it used to be. The refreshing feeling of a thorough sleep has evaded me for the last couple of weeks now. I tend to sleep better when I dream. I had a dream last night, but I wasn't refreshed in the morning. I'm not sure about others, but I'm pretty good at analyzing my own dreams. I can tell why certain events in my dream happen. Anyway, let's start the breakdown. 

So, in my dream, I'm in school. No, not college. High school. Back in the halls and classrooms I've come to hate. Why? Because Summer is almost over. My mind knows it. It's going back into its old rhythm of waking up at 7 A.M. Back to thinking about classrooms and teachers. Back to thinking about old friends. The only problem is: I'm not in High school anymore. I'm off to bigger and better things. That part of my life is over. But, maybe a part of me doesn't want it to be over.

I've been to that school all my life. I know every room, every crack, every corner. I can navigate it blind. I know all the teachers. I know how everything works. I know where everything is. And I'll miss that comfort. Although I hated that school, I was comfortable with it. It really did feel like a second home. A part of me wishes that I never had to grow up and be responsible. Never had to go to a new school. Never had to start anew. But, it's only a small part.

College is a great experience and I'm looking forward to it. Even if I am shy and out of my comfort zone, going to college will be good for me. It'll be a good chance to meet new people. To experience new things. To find out things about myself that I never knew. To get out of my house and into the real world.

So, let's review. My dream's telling me to worry about school. My mind is subconsciously thinking about High school and how the new year is going to be. Well, my conscious mind is looking forward to college and is throwing caution to the wind. So, who do I side with? My subconscious mind or my conscious mind? 

I'm not afraid. I'm happy. I'm not going to worry about school. No matter how much sleep I lose over this, I'll never be afraid. There's no point in worrying about High school anymore. So, thanks but no thanks Mr. Dream, because I've got it covered. I'm going to college, and I'm going to be happy and there's nothing you can do about it!

I guess dreams don't have all the answers, now do they? 

5 comments:

  1. Good for you! In a few months, college will be old hat to you and you'll be so busy enjoying yourself that you'll look back and wonder that your ever experienced a moment of uncertainty. Good luck and have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just graduated from high school too, and I can't tell you how much I do NOT miss waking up at 6 or 7 AM!

    Best of luck in college. ;]

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Amanda. Good luck to you as well.

    P.S. Awesome pic of Lieutenant Hawkeye!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This piece was deeper than my pool. Deeper than my you-know-what. :]

    You're going to own college.

    ReplyDelete