Search This Blog

Sunday, August 1, 2010

The Name That Started It All

"...and they lived happily ever after. THE END." said the girl.

"Nah, one of them probably got an STD and then they got divorced and hated each other forever." said I.

"You're such a cynical bastard, Rafi!"

"What? It's way more likely nowadays for young couples to get divorced..."

Yep, I'm THAT guy. The guy that blurts out facts that ruin the moment. The snobby guy in class who holds his tongue until the right moment when someone says something stupid and BAM...he nails 'em with a witty remark that sends 'em home to mommy. Until that moment, no one notices him. No one even cares about him. But at that moment, he becomes the clever prick that everyone likes to argue with.

I guess I just don't like the idea of being like everyone else. Most of the time, I hate knowing that someone else thinks like I do. If someone's arguing in one direction, then I'm arguing in the other. If I notice that most of my class is arguing for something, then I'll argue against it. And why not? It helps me think on my toes, it helps them learn something new. Everyone loves rooting for the underdog...but no one ever bets on them. They're all hypocrites.

Most of my classrooms are filled with happy-go-lucky, butterfly-chasing, rainbow-coming-out-of-their-ass, optimistic people. So, I naturally took the role of the pessimist. Soon, I was labeled the cynic of the classroom. Anytime someone needed to insult me, all they needed to say was, "Well, you're just a Cynical Bastard."

The Cynical Bastard. Why does being cynical hold such a negative connotation with my peers? Most of them don't even know what it means. Why does such a great title feel like such an insult?

I started thinking differently. I cared less and less about what was going on around me. Everything became a game. How well could I do swimming against the current? I took no stand on any topic until I saw where others stood. I wanted to be unique. I wanted to be different.

Every person has their color. Well, I became colorless. No one color belongs to me. I hold them all. In each situation, a different color is needed. To people who are overly pessimistic, I am optimistic. To people that are overly religious, I am atheist. Every argument has its holes. Nothing is perfect.

"It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change." - Charles Darwin

2 comments:

  1. So...

    For a first blog post, this was pretty wicked. You're opening yourself up to the world, as cheesy as it sounds.

    Also, a few lines captivated me.

    And if I didn't know you any better, I would have called you emo or perhaps even gone so far as to imitate your classmates in calling you a "Cynical Bastard".

    But you will always be awesome for just being true to yourself; a unique human being.

    Go individualism!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Being cynical often just means that you've observed and concluded, that you've experienced. I, too, am pretty cynical. And, since about high school (about a million years ago) I have NOT wanted to be like everyone else. I pull for a team that everyone hates just because everyone pulls for the most popular one. I don't like diamonds, roses, yellow, pink, or love stories. I'm a rebel. Sounds like you are, too! Makes life more interesting, don't you think?

    ReplyDelete